Off the Beaten Road — How did Ted King Answer These 10 Questions?
[Updated 1/6/2012. Thanks for voting your guesses and participating in this new style of interview. Voting is now closed. Check below to find out how everyone voted and visit here to see what Ted actually said.]
Pro-cyclist Ted King told VeloNation, “I live the philosophy that life is an adventure.”
That’s why ProVéloPassion asked him to play with a new idea for the Off the Beaten Road interview series. In between Ted’s Liquigas-Cannondale Pro Cycling Team’s camps in Passo San Pellegrino and Sardinia this December, he selected one of two possible answers to each of ten questions. Now it’s time for cycling fans to guess, below, which answers he chose.
First, warm up with these open-ended interview questions.
Ted’s passion off the bike: baking, which he loves because it is “a means to an end.”
The good luck charm he carries during a race: none. “Good luck implies superstition and I ain’t superstitious.”
Clothing Ted has owned for the longest time and still wears: “T-shirts. I have an ever growing collection of shirts that I love and still wear all the time.”
Favorite place to be a tourist: “Relatively freshly back from Hawaii, I’m thrilled to have gone there without the tether of my bike. That was glorious.”
When he was a kid, Ted used to: “Take my bike off sweet jumps. I rode my bike all over my home town. Then after hanging it up for a decade, I came back into the world of two wheels, but this time with the manly veil of shaved legs and spandex.”
Is there is something Ted would like journalists to ask him that they’ve never asked before? “Yes. ‘Hey Ted, I’ve been dying to ask: where can I send you maple syrup/peanut butter/a thousand dollar bill for this interview?!'” [Editor's note: ProVéloPassion can only afford one of the first two suggestions.]
Guess how Ted answered these questions
How well do you know Ted King? Select the replies you believe Ted provided to the questions below. Click on “vote” for each question to register your guesses. At midnight on December 30th voting will close. Soon thereafter, Ted’s real answers and comments will be revealed on ProVéloPassion.
[Editor’s note: Al Roker watched Deborah Roberts' apartment while she was away. He broke through their "just friends" status by stocking her previously empty fridge and pantry, and leaving her flowers to find when she returned. They subsequently married.]
At the time of this interview, Ted shared that his first race of the 2012 season will be the Tour de San Luis in Argentina in January.
- Liquigas-Cannondale Pro Cycling Team 2011 to present
- Cervélo Test Team, 2009 – 2010
- Priority Health Cycling Team, which became Bissell Pro-cycling Team — 2006 – 2008
- Two-time Giro d’Italia finisher
- 2011 — 3rd, USA Cycling Pro Road Championships; 5th, Green Mountain Cyclocross day 2
- 2010 — 10th, Vuelta a Castilla y Leon stage 1; 1st, Housatonic Hills; 1st, Green Mountain Stage Race stage 1
- 2009 — Sprint jersey, Vuelta a Burgos, stage 2; 1st, Michael Schott Memorial Marblehead Circuit Race; 1st, Lake Auburn Road Race
- 2008 — Ranked 2nd overall in North American individual standings (1st American); 1st, Hanes Park Criterium; 1st Tour of the Hilltowns; KOM jersey, Tour of Georgia stage 4
- 2007 — 1st, Concord Criterium
- 2006 — 1st, Portsmouth and Poughkeepsie Criteriums; 3rd, NY State Cyclocross Championships
In addition to all Ted divulges while narrating his adventures on his website, check out these sources for insights about Ted:
- NYVelocity interview, June 2011
- Ted King’s diary on VeloNews
- “Fresh start with Liquigas for the King of Style,” on VeloNation, November 2010